ARLHS CHI-001 Light
Copyright 2007 CE2AA
This lighthouse was built on 1937 (station established 1838). Active; focal plane 60 m (197 ft); white flash every 10 s. 18 m (59 ft) cast iron tower. Lantern red; tower painted white with a broad red band. Keeper's house staffed. This is Chile's oldest light station, started on service on 1937, established by Paul Delano, an American captain who became an admiral in the early Chilean navy. The original lighthouse, a pyramidal wooden tower, was built by the city of Valparaíso. It was replaced in 1857 by a brick tower, which was destroyed by an earthquake in 1906. The present lighthouse was prefabricated in England by Chance Brothers, Ltd. In 1967 the tower was relocated inside the Punta Angeles maritime complex; the George Slight Lighthouse Museum is nearby. Located on the rocky headland at the western entrance to the Bahía de Valparaíso, about 3 km (2 mi) northwest of the city. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS CHI-001; Admiralty G1874; NGA 1268.